Last year I read the book, The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin. She talked about writing her 12 Commandments to help her on her journey to find happiness. She described her commandments as “overarching principles by which to live her life and not just average resolutions to help her form a new habit.”
I like to think of these commandments – as my New You Solutions – the principles that I need to live by in 2018. I wrote my first set of commandments, last year. My one word of the year in 2017 was Focus, and the principles I wrote did help me learn to focus and achieve some of the goals that I had set. It also helped me get out of a pretty bad depression. This year, my commandments will help me on my journey to find happiness…since it is still pretty easy to want to sink back into that depression. That bluebird seems very elusive sometimes.
++++++Note: Not that I am always walking around sad all the time… I think the older I get the more tendency I have to be negative and cynical++++++++
I have revisited last years commandments, reflected on them and revised them –
NEW SLATE IN TWO THOUSAND ONE EIGHT
Here they are:
- Surround myself with Positive People, those that support me, believe in me and cherish me.
- Learn to Forgive – myself and others
- Get It Done – FINISH
- Remember – It’s the Climb
- Meat, Fruit, Veggies – clean eating – real food
- Have Fun – Enjoy the Moments
- Reach Out to Others – find a need and fill it
- Grow Spiritually
- Believe Anything is Possible
- Live Life Like its a Hallmark Movie
- I’ve Got to Move It – Move It – walk/run everyday
- Have an Attitude of Gratitude
I am not sure yet what order these will go in – I do know that in January, I am going to start with number 1 – surround myself with Positive People. The idea is that I start with the first principle and the second month, I add principle number two so by the end of the year, I am practicing all 12 principles.
My plan of action for surrounding myself with positive people:
- Get myself back to church (Not that church makes you any more or any less religious… I just find that there are some genuinely happy in church who sincerely live out their faith)
- Go walking/hiking/running with others who want to live healthy too… maybe start a walking club (plus it would give me motivation and encouragement since I signed up for Run the Year – 2018 miles in 2018. I am up to almost 4 miles today!)
- Invite others to my house to come craft with me
- Eliminate the negative on Social Media – including the negative drama inducing people.
- Find other entrepreneurs and business owners to hang out and learn from. (Limu people are some of the most positive people I know. thelimucompany.com)
If you were to write your own principles to live by for the year – what would they be?
Happy New Year everyone – may you be blessed beyond measure in 2018